The Green Scene Podcast Episode 1: How to Support Lung Cancer Awareness and Amplify the Radon Message
with lung cancer survivor and founder of Breath of Hope Kentucky, Lindi Campbell
In the first episode of The Green Scene Podcast, Kyle Hoylman and Lindi Campbell discuss how to support lung cancer awareness in Kentucky to erase the lung cancer stigma and amplify the radon message.
Lindi is a lung cancer survivor and founder of Breath of Hope Kentucky, a local non-profit and a source of community for others diagnosed. The organization supports local lung cancer research initiatives to increase lung cancer survival statistics. Lindi invites others to join the fight against lung cancer by spreading awareness and erasing the lung cancer stigma.
The Importance of Radon Awareness
Radon gas is responsible for the deaths of more than 21,000 Americans every year. 500 of them in Kentucky alone. Kyle and Lindi discuss how lung cancer survivors and radon industry professionals can work together to amplify the radon message. A message that is critical to supporting lung cancer awareness initiatives – that anyone with lungs can get lung cancer. Radon being the leading cause of the disease among non-smokers.
The lung cancer stigma negatively impacts the lives of those diagnosed. Others often assume that the victim smoked or lived a lifestyle that led to their diagnosis. Proper lung cancer testing is often not available to those classified as non-smokers because of the stigma that lung cancer is only a possibility with a history of smoking.
By amplifying the radon message, others can support lung cancer awareness and end the lung cancer stigma. Kyle and Lindi encourage others to join in the work to save lives by increasing awareness of the importance of early detection and prevention for everyone, even those who do not smoke.
- The facts about radon gas.
- How Breath of Hope Kentucky is amplifying the message about the health risks of radon as the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.
- How the radon message can be applied by policymakers to implement policies that protect occupants from radon exposure.
- Lindi defines the lung cancer stigma and how it affects those who are diagnosed.
- What Breath of Hope Kentucky is doing as an organization to overcome the lung cancer stigma.
- How spreading awareness about the dangers of radon exposure can help end the stigma of lung cancer.
- How the community and radon professionals can support lung cancer survivors.
- Lindi shares what’s in store for Breath of Hope Kentucky and how lung cancer survivor stories give hope to keep fighting.
Learn more about Lindi’s story on The Green Scene.